"Don't forget I need your section of the newsletter by noon today."
"Just grabbing the screenshot and it should be all set. You'll have it in 5 minutes."
5 minutes later...
A new e-mail arrives in my inbox.
Everything looks ok here. Now just a quick look at the screenshot...oh dear. This will send shock waves. This needs a new example for sure. Well...maybe I'm overreacting. Perhaps I should get a second opinion.
I consult my editor, my friend, my co-worker. The smirk is enough but to seal the deal I ask, "do you think I should use a different example?"
"Definitely." Confirmed.
I get to work on the new example.
"So how did everything look?"
Panic sets in momentarily. What do I say? How can I state this without causing offense? Some people can be sensitive about these things. And it will be obvious when the example is changed. There's no way I can include it though. Not with that name...Perhaps I can make light of it and add a little humor. Yes, that will work. Go for it!
"Well, the article was fine, but next time you give an example try not to use the name of a potential hooker."
"THAT'S MY NIECE!"
Everyone scatters. Awkward silence...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment